Archive for January 5, 2011
The righties are freaking out because Ed Schultz called the GOP “bastards” today and it took him — gasp — all of “a few minutes” to apologize.
Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly and Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh and Neil Boortz (to name but a few) have said far worse (do the Google thing) and they’ve never apologized.
So, yo, righties, you’ve got it pretty freakin’ good if it only took Ed “a few minutes.”
Who knew: Grover Norquist, a darling of the conservative movement, is married to a woman who “is [a] born Muslim” and who is the former director of the Islamic Free Market Institute which “is an Islamic outreach group.“
Wow. Now that’s interesting.
This info came to me today while I was surfing, probably because the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) — that wild and crazy group whose annual conference is always a whole lotta fun — is going ever more insane and turning against one of the (to date) insanest amongst them — Norquist.
I’m posting this because my God, it’s another example of the shameless hypocrisy of the right.
I got my hair cut yesterday and as I was leaving my hairdresser gave me a trial size bottle of “Hempz” Herbal Moisturizer. One of the herbs in it is Cannabis Sativa seed oil.
Only in Boulder.
(I like it. It soaks right in, it isn’t greasy and I love the scent. Very clean.)
Here is a horrible report about what it’s like to be a pig at a Virginia factory farm that produces Smithfield hams:
- Female breeding pigs were crammed inside “gestation crates” so small the animals could barely move for virtually their entire lives. The animals engaged in stereotypic behaviors such as biting the bars of crates, indicating poor well-being in the extreme confinement conditions. Some had bitten their bars so incessantly that blood from their mouths coated the fronts of their crates. The breeding pigs also suffered injuries from sharp crate protrusions and open pressure sores that developed from their unyielding confinement.
- The investigator never saw a veterinarian at the operation. A barn manager told the investigator to ignore a pig with a basketball-sized abscess on her neck, and then cut the abscess open with an unsterilized razor.
- Employees jabbed a lame pig’s neck and back with gate rods to force her to move.
- Three times, the investigator informed employees that a pig was thrown into a dumpster alive. The animal had been shot in the forehead with a captive bolt gun, which is designed to render an animal unconscious, and was thrown in the dumpster still alive and breathing.
- Employees mishandled piglets and tossed them into carts.
- Some piglets prematurely born in gestation crates fell through the slats into the manure pits..
Watch the video (at the link above — bottom of the page) if you can stand it. I couldn’t
Oh, and Paula Deen is a (or the) spokeswoman for Smithfield. Boycott her.
Oh my God. It has literally been a matter of hours since the new Republican/Tea Party gang landed in Washington and here they are — dropping their campaign pledges faster than they can unpack their bags. This morning they announced that their promise to cut $100 billion from the budget wasn’t workable and now we hear that Tea Party candidate, Utah Senator Mike Lee said last night on CNN that he understands “the logic” of a health insurance mandate (but he wants to leave the issue up to the states).
Meanwhile, this was Lee during the campaign:
“Every possible means must be applied within Congress as well as through the application of the Constitution and the law to stop full implementation of this legislation,” his campaign website said, adding, “Health care reform must never give the government the authority to force Americans to buy health insurance.”
Time to get out the popcorn, settle in, and watch the show.
40,000 crabs washed ashore in England today and 100 tons (tons!) of fish washed ashore in Brazil last Thursday. (More here.)
This is getting kind of scary.