A Tale of Outrageous Voter Suppression in Kansas

August 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM 7 comments

I recommend this post over at The Pragmatic Pundit:  I COULD NOT REGISTER TO VOTE! – The Voter Identification MANDATE.  It’s a maddening tale about a woman’s attempt to register to vote after moving to Kansas.  Part of what she writes about is observing another lady trying to do the same:

I watched as an elderly woman, barely able to walk grappled with the fact that she still carried her husband’s name despite the fact he had been dead for decades.  She waved the death certificate and marriage license.

“He was killed in the war….I’ve lived in the same house for over fifty years….you know me.”  She was at the brink of tears.

“I understand”
, the clerk explained. “Don’t blame me, blame all these bad illegals who are taking advantage of us all and have made it bad for everybody.”

“Well, don’t punish me…I am an American citizen….my husband and son both fought and died in wars for this country and I’m not going to be able to vote?”

The clerk handed her a tissue.  “What you will have to do is change your name back to your own name.”  She gave her the address and necessary information.  “After you have officially changed your name, bring in the official papers and I will be able to issue you a state ID.”

What?  Since when is a widow required to change her name back to her maiden name in order to register to vote?

Outrageous.

About these ads

Entry filed under: 2012 Election, Republicans, Including Wingers & "Moderates", Voting Issues. Tags: .

News to Me Plenty of Money for Wars

• 1. dgilmanjm  |  August 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What was her married name? Rodrigues? Esteves, Diaz, Esposito?

• 2. Say It Ain't So Already  |  August 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Read the article. She was white. That’s all I know.

• [...] of the article here Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Bookmark the [...]

• 4. JC for pennies  |  August 21, 2012 at 4:20 AM

The clerk even knew she was a legal voter. It would seem that a registrar of voters could make the decision to certify her as legal. The new laws seem to be very draconian. Is that the kind of liberty the Repugs want poor young men and women fighting and dying for overseas? Disgraceful! CAMPAIGN ISSUE!!

• 5. Andy Donnelly  |  October 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

This is sickening… Vote out anyone who wants to implement laws that restrict the right to Vote.
    Voter Fraud is a Non-Existent problem!!

• 6. JC for pennies  |  October 16, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Well, Andy, it wasn’t until the GOP embarked on voter fraud, themselves. Voter disenfranchisement is a form of fraud, isn’t it? It IS criminal!

• 7. JC for pennies  |  October 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Excuse me: was not a problem—