Posts filed under ‘Unions’
Labor unions have done a lot:
But we’ve still got work to do:
Larger version here.
We know the powers that be are working again us, right? No? Here’s an example: United Press International (UPI), a supposedly unbiased “news” organization, posted this headline today seemingly trying to scare people into thinking that unionization destroys football teams and thus, extrapolating, careers and lives:
- All Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks
- Paid Vacation
- Sick Leave
- Social Security
- Minimum Wage
- Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
- 8-Hour Work Day
- Overtime Pay
- Child Labor Laws
- Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
- 40 Hour Work Week
- Worker’s Compensation (Worker’s Comp)
- Unemployment Insurance
- Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
- Employer Health Care Insurance
- Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
- Wrongful Termination Laws
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- Whistleblower Protection Laws
- Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
- Veteran’s Employment and Training Services (VETS)
- Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
- Sexual Harassment Laws
- Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Holiday Pay
- Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
- Privacy Rights
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave
- Military Leave
- The Right to Strike
- Public Education for Children
- Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
- Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States
The pro-corporate propaganda is everywhere here in the U.S. It’s unescapable. And it’s being shoved down our throats every which to Sunday.
That said, Happy Labor Day and bravo to We the Laborers who keep this country running.
The red line is the share of income going to the 1%
The blue line is union membership.
This is what happens to the tax system when it’s permissible for corporate lobbyists to throw megabucks at people who are supposed to represent, ah, We the People. Hardscrabble teachers’ (and other) unions crawl on their hands and knees in an attempt to be heard but they aren’t. They don’t have the
This is so wrong:
This is a horrible, horrible precedent for our so-called leaders to set. You know, the people who are sworn to uphold the laws of the United States?
I can only imagine what it will be like around here when this “trickles down:”
S U B P O N A
U.S. Senator Bob Corker’s office said Wednesday that he will ignore a subpoena from the United Auto Workers to testify at a hearing next week in Chattanooga.
The latest controversy follows the disclosure of confidential documents by NewsChannel 5 Investigates.
The UAW had subpoenaed Corker and two aides to testify at a hearing of the National Labor Relations Board.
The union claims Corker was part of an orchestrated effort to thwart a union election at Volkswagen’s plant in Chattanooga — and they want the NLRB to order new elections.
Corker’s chief of staff Todd Womack said in a statement, “Everyone understands that after a clear defeat, the UAW is trying to create a sideshow, so we have filed a motion to revoke these baseless subpoenas.”
He added, “Neither Senator Corker nor his staff will attend the hearing on Monday.”
Say I get subpoenaed for jury duty. I guess I can now say fuck that! The trial’s a “sideshow.” Huh?
OMG, I feel for the little babies who are going to grow up in a country that’s unrecognizable from the one I knew.
Back in my day, nobody but nobody ignored a subpoena.
Take Anti-Unionol, a long-lasting anti-worker suppository (this is great):
‘Which Side Are You On?’ is a song written by Florence Reece in 1931. Reece was the wife of Sam Reece, a union organizer for the United Mine Workers in Harlan County, Kentucky. In 1931, the miners of that region were locked in a bitter and violent struggle with the mine owners. In an attempt to intimidate the Reece family, Sheriff J. H. Blair and his men (hired by the mining company) illegally entered their family home in search of Sam Reece. Sam had been warned in advance and escaped, but Florence and their children were terrorized in his place. That night, after the men had gone, Florence wrote the lyrics to ‘Which Side Are You On?’ on a calendar that hung in the kitchen of her home. She took the melody from a traditional Baptist hymn, ‘Lay the Lily Low’, or the traditional ballad ‘Jack Munro’.