Birds

December 3, 2015 at 7:12 PM 7 comments

Four or five weeks ago I heard a flock of geese flying south over my street while I was walking the dogs.  I secretly marveled at their ability to know when to leave their summer home and to know where to go when they did.  I imagined them flying south from Canada over my house in Colorado to a place to the south, along Texas’ Gulf coast maybe?  (I need to research it so I’ll know.)

Roughly a year ago I read an article about how crows — yes the not-so-lowly-after-all crow — remember people who are nice or mean to them.  And I’ve been thinking off and on about how little credit we give creatures such as birds…always assuming, of course, that we are so superior to them.

That said, I took a screen shot of this quote by Peter Matthiessen a while back.  I wanted to put it up to remind myself to learn more about birds, and to continue to honor and respect the strength and wisdom that’s inherent in the beings around us, even the tiniest ones.

Love This

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Musings.

Grief If You Know Someone Who’s Grieving

• 1. George Shaw  |  December 3, 2015 at 7:22 PM

I miss you, but I am happy when you pop back into my world from time to time.

• 2. Say It Ain't So Already  |  December 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Oh my goodness. What a nice thing to say.

• 3. Tim Truett  |  December 4, 2015 at 5:59 AM

I agree with George Shaw. Hope you are well.

• 4. Say It Ain't So Already  |  December 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Thank you Tim. I hope you are too! I hear there is some fierce weather going on in your area of the planet right now.

• 5. Tim Truett  |  December 5, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Thanks! Yes, there is. We have high wind but are OK. But about 100 mi. north is enormous rain, flooding and some really difficult times for the folks in Cumbria – the area we call “The Lake District.” Beautiful countryside that takes the brunt of the weather.

• 6. Say It Ain't So Already  |  December 8, 2015 at 4:52 PM

I follow about eight weather people from all around the world on Twitter. One of the people is from Ireland and she is covering the UK in general during these storms (looks like another one’s headed your way). She has been including photos of Cumbria and yes, it looks absolutely beautiful and so lush and green. Well, take care. We get very high winds here in Boulder. Highest I’ve lived through was a night of 130 mph gusts. Lots of damage and very scary so my thoughts are with you.

• 7. mhasegawa  |  December 10, 2015 at 1:23 PM

A birder thanks you for this post.