Happy Anniversary My Sweet Dan

July 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM 10 comments

Today would have been Dan’s and my 39th wedding anniversary.

Screen shot 2016-07-16 at 6.15.53 PM.png

July 16, 1977, Long Lake, Roosevelt National Forest, Boulder County, Colorado

I think I’m doing pretty well.  I have good days and bad.  Probably a mix of 50/50. Maybe 60/40.

The one year anniversary of Dan’s death is coming up on July 25.  I don’t know if or how it will change me but I think it’s important to get past it…to get beyond all the “firsts.”  The FIRST birthday.  The FIRST Thanksgiving. The FIRST day the Letter Carrier delivered the seed catalogues that Dan would delve into and start planning his garden. The FIRST time I heard the screech of that bird this spring that we both hated hearing. Gawd.  The firsts seem to roll around once a week.  There’s got to be some relief in getting that freakin first, first, first anniversary thing done and behind me.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Musings.

Happy Mother’s Day to Women Who Mother Something or Someone Other Than a Human One Year

• 1. George Shaw  |  July 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM

I am so glad that you seem to be working through it. Everyone has to go through that at their own speed, so don’t feel like you are being clocked.
    George Shaw

• 2. Tim Truett  |  July 17, 2016 at 2:42 AM

Second round of hugs, love and warm wishes coming from over here.

• 3. Say It Ain't So Already  |  July 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Thanks George. Good to hear from you.

• 4. Say It Ain't So Already  |  July 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Thanks Tim.

• 5. mhasegawa  |  July 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Take care of yourself.

• 6. Say It Ain't So Already  |  July 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Thank you. You have been such a loyal fan of this blog. I really appreciate hearing from you.

• 7. mhasegawa  |  July 23, 2016 at 9:10 AM

I always look for you posts. I lost my oldest girlfriend – knew her from when she was born- to a form of dementia and I still miss her very much. Not quite the same, but I do have a clue as to what you are going through.

• 8. Say It Ain't So Already  |  July 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Oh, so, so sorry. How long ago?

• 9. mhasegawa  |  July 23, 2016 at 3:18 PM

About a year. She was in CA and I was in Boston, but until about 2 years before she died we talked on the phone at least once a month. When she started getting repetitious I told her brother who had also noticed. Soon after she was diagnosed.

• 10. Say It Ain't So Already  |  July 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Again, I’m so sorry. Two years is such a short time. If my general information is correct, most people live with dementia for roughly eight years before they die. You will miss your friend forever as I will Dan.